Wednesday 13 June 2012

Un recuerdo


I'm not a thing person. I'm ruthlessly minimalist at home and abroad, in fact. But there are things which tell stories of people. Last year, as I frantically prepared to lead a trip to Madagascar (I had a week's notice), a dear friend came to stay. He calmly lent me his books on the island and gave me three stylish black Moleskine notebooks to take. Two of these I consumed with notes on lemurs and Madagascar's birds.

This morning I reached into my daypack for a notebook and out came the last of the little Moleskines, which I thought lost; my mind went straight to a friend's simple, big-hearted act of support. Thanks.


Recorded in a Moleskine notebook in Lima today

Birds

487
Harris’ (bay-winged) hawk
Parabuteo unicinctus
488
Peruvian booby
Sula variegata
489
turkey vulture
Cathartes aura
490
grey gull
Leucophaeus modestus
491
American kestrel
Falco sparverius

2012 Totals
Mammals: 61
Birds: 491
Reptiles: 14
Amphibians: 6
Fish: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment