Wednesday 10 June 2015

Post


I should not have walked to the postbox this morning. I should have stayed at my desk and addressed the emails and letters from which I've been hiding in Speyside. I should have written; I should have read; I should have worked.

Had I dutifully stayed at my desk, however, I would not have walked across the common and heard the chaffinches, the song thrushes and chiffchaffs singing for their second broods.

I would not have seen the last flowers of bogbean in the pool, nor the first of marsh thistle; nor heard the happy chip of sparrows.





I would not have seen the fragile constellations of rough chervil in the hedge, or the soft small flowers of ground ivy; nor would I have puzzled over the parentage of a thistle (marsh/creeping hybrid I think).




I would not have smiled to see mallard fledglings wrestling over a potato by the river.






Nor would I have met a meadow bumblebee (a male, a first sign of autumn) feeding at green alkanet; nor the same plant blooming beautifully by the postbox (meaning my walk was over).





I would not, on my way back, have made the acquaintance of a handsome cock, nor talked with fat lambs, by a hedge bright with herb robert and wild rose.







I would not have seen the heraldic leaves of hop ramping through the verge.





I would not, reaching my home, have seen flags shouting yellowly from a pool




All these gifts to my soul from the wild I would not have seen, or heard, or smelled this morning.

I'm glad I walked to the postbox.



3 comments:

  1. I’m glad you walked to the post box as well. You have such a relaxed, unhurried style of writing, such an eye for detail, such a charming turn of phrase that evokes such delightful images yet never strays into the excesses of purple prose …

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rhoda. I'll try purpling up my prose for you in future posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't purple it up, Nick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If there's one thing I hate it's people trying to evoke all manner of imagery with convoluted metaphors that just end up sounding pretentious! You always seem to achieve the perfect balance. Effortlessly as well.

    ReplyDelete