Saturday 19 May 2012

Tinker Bell


You remember the bit in Peter Pan where Tinker Bell is spluttering her last and Peter calls on all the children to clap to save her, to let her know they believe? Do you think it works for sunshine? Give it a try. What have we got to lose? If you read this and you believe in sunshine give a clap. Maybe one day we'll see some.

I've forgotten what it looks like.

I've spent today at home, by the fire, thinking about Peru and the daunting, wonderful wildlife which lives there and which next month I'm to share with Naturetrek clients. This evening my friend Gavin sings the bass solo part in Haydn's Creation at Salle church. I am going with his mother. (The heavens are telling the glory of God. Not round here they're not: clap harder people.)

In the garden red campion flowers. A kestrel hovers over the common. The local pied wagtails shoo a long-winged female sparrowhawk from the street. But I have ceased to believe in fairies.


'All of you out there, if you believe in fairies, clap your hands, clap your hands. Clap them hard, and go on clapping. If you don't Tinker Bell will die.'

J. M. Barrie
Peter Pan

No comments:

Post a Comment