Wednesday 12 December 2012

Guess the birds


While rummaging this morning through my notebook from this season in Madagascar, I found these feathers, which I picked up while there and snuck home. Does anyone know what they are?

This is probably the easiest, though it's the only one I myself had to guess. The others were, sadly, from dead birds whose identification was therefore straightforward. This feather is 12cm in length.

The larger of these two feathers measures 9cm. They are from a dead juvenile bird in an abandoned nest.

This will, I imagine, be the hardest of all to identify. It measures 4.5cm and is from a bird that we were very sad indeed to find dead.

---------------------------------------------------------

Later:

With her customary ornithological flair, my mother has set the ball rolling.



No comments:

Post a Comment